His Love is Amazing!

In 2001 my picture perfect “Brady Bunch” life came to a screeching halt!

I believe in being transparent, being and keeping it real. The end result of what I’m about to share is “His Love is Amazing”. I was the Associate Pastor at my Dad’s church and he resigned abruptly during our January board meeting. I was shocked to say the least. I excused myself from the meeting and went and called my dear Mother. “Mom,” I said, “Did you know Dad was resigning the church tonight?” She had no clue. I proceeded back to the meeting and tried to stop what was taking place. Something was not right…Why? He was determined. It was over. He had 3 more Sunday Services to complete his 40 years of full-time service to the Lord.

After that last week on a day off I was in Temecula CA. at a skateboard park with my kids. I went out to the car to check my voice mail and had a message from my sister Joyce. “Alan” despair, urgency, a cry in her voice “Get up to Mom’s right away!” I grabbed the kids, picked my wife up and when I arrived at my Mom’s about an hour and a half  later my sister was there with her kids…Everyone was in tears, praying, crying out to the Lord. My Dad left my dear Mother a card saying he would do it all over again with her, that he loved her…but he was gone. Vanished. Disappeared.

Several days had passed, then after one week he returned. A families worst nightmare. He had an affair with a lady in the church and she had conceived. Forty years of ministry, Forty Four years of marriage over.

What seemed to be all over night, actually was brewing for sometime. You don’t just wake up one morning and have an affair. It starts with a look, with flattery, you know what I’m talking about. The Lord always is there for us and will always give us warning signs, and is always trying to get our attention.

My wife and I kept the church going for six months until we got a new Pastor. The Board wanted us to take it over but I wanted a break. I wanted out. I ran from the ministry, my calling. So we left the “ministry” and moved back to North County San Diego where I grew up. My jobs were always in sales which involved working on the weekends which means we didn’t  get plugged into a local church or gathering of Believers on a weekly or regular basis. Two of our kids fell away from the Lord big time. One is still not serving Him, running from Him.

Here’s the good news in all of this. My Mom stood her ground. She always said that she wasn’t going to give the devil the victory! She prayed and prayed, and stood in faith for her marriage, for the Church and for her grandchildren. After about 3 years they were re-married on a beautiful sunny afternoon over looking the beach with all the family by their side! And the other good news is that God’s  got my sons number and he will return and be healed and know and experience Him in all His Fullness!

So yeah, His Love is Amazing. He forgives. He forgets our past. He restores.

But Sin Sucks because, well I’ll quote my daughter here:

“Sin ripple affects through our lives, causing a nasty web of destruction. We need to strengthen each other through the knowledge and love that God fills us with. We all fail, we all fall into the sin that holds us back from becoming who were created to be. Be encouraged! God is pleased with you! and lets all come to the full understanding of how much sin really SUCKS.”

But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. I Cor. 15:57

No tags for this post.

13 Responses to “His Love is Amazing!”

1. Steven. says:

Transparent. Real. The way a preacher should be.

2 Corinthians 12:9
    What causes ‘weakness’?

2. Vinay George says:

Dear Alan,

Wow.. what an amazing restoration! Thank you for placing it all very bluntly and without mincing words. Sin does SUCK.. big time!

Be blessed in your ministry and thank God for ‘MOMs’

• Alan says:

Thanks Vinay,

Yeah, He is truly amazing and awesome in His love for us!! And yes thank God for MOMS for sure :)

I really like your website and what you are doing, and I spent 2 1/2 years in India working with http://www.ywam.org
      and a few months with http://www.ag.org India has a very dear place in my heart and it is in
      my vision to go to India at least 3-4 times a year.

Blessings!

• Vinay George says:

Hi Alan,

Thank you so much for the encouragement! When is your next trip to India and specifically Bangalore? I know quite a few of the YWAMmers here in Bangalore.

Let me know when you’re down next, we should get connected! I’ve left my email id in the above required spaces. So, please feel free to mail me anytime.

Would really love to share what God’s doing and to learn a lot from u.

God bless!

• Alan says:

Hi Vinay,

Thanks again. I just replied by email to you. :)

Alan

3. Leslie says:

Hi Alan,

I just want to say God Bless you!! This is amazing! My husband, after 28 years of marriage, back in 2004, also had an affair….Yes!! God’s love is amazing, because in the end of my situation and after much prayer….My husband gave his life to Jesus, in March of 2005!!! My marriage is better now than it ever was!! God is in the center of our marriage now, and I have a God fearing husband!! Thank you for the reminder of how much God can do in our lives when we trust in Him!!! …..To your mom…..Praise God for the power of a praying wife!! and God Bless!!

• Alan says:

Leslie,
      Just replied to your inbox and just want to say it again here:

Leslie,
      Wow, thanks so much for sharing this with me! Give your husband a hug from me :)
      and I will share this with my Mom over Thanksgiving weekend, I know it will really bless her!
      A God fearing husband-what else could a wife ask for bottom line! You made my day for sharing this with me.
      It’s an encouragement during this kick off stage.
      If you could post it on the blog, that would be awesome. I know it would be a blessing to others as well.
      Also, here is a link if you would like to become a fan :) our goal is 100,000.
      Transforming lives by proclaiming His Amazing love and why sin sucks!

Thanks again Leslie!

4. sara says:

Thank you for sharing this story,I agree sin sucks and the Love of God is amazing

5. victor says:

Thank you for sharing the reality of SIN and more the Power of the Cross!
    Thank you!