Can someone be “happy” without Christ?

What is this “abundant life” that Jesus spoke of all about?

I was talking with a young man about six months who was struggling in his faith and as a matter of fact is now not walking with the Lord really at all…at least his lifestyle shows no evidence or fruit of walking with the Lord.
He said, “You know, it seems that anyone who has become a Christian did so because they were super depressed, bummed out on life or just allowed their partying to get out of control but I’m stoked on life, I’m one of the happiest care-free guys on earth!”

Do you know someone like this? And, how can you reach someone like this to lead them to the Lord? What do you think?

How can we witness to happy people who see no need of a Savior? If one doesn’t know their lost then they don’t know they need to be saved, right? (below is a link Friends don’t let friends go to Hell which gives a good teaching on sharing your faith with your ‘happy friends’).

I do think that someone can be “happy” with out Christ. What do you think? But it doesn’t erase the fact that they are separated from God and going to hell does it? Bound. Lost. Separated.
The abundant life that Jesus spoke of goes deeper than being happy. It doesn’t mean that we walk around with constant smile on our faces living life with no problems or struggles, skipping through the daisies on a beautiful sunny afternoon.

As you give your total self to God, God gives His total self to you. That is the supreme message of the Bible. Inherent in God’s “total self” of His own Person is true Bible based prosperity, and above all His prosperity brings eternal life. Stop to think about it. What else is there worth having?!

So both Christians and non-Christians can be happy but when you surrender your total self to the Lord the “happy” takes on a whole new meaning. It’s a purpose greater than ourselves. I like what Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke said: We becomeĀ  what we were born to be only when we are born again through faith in Christ Jesus, who said, “If the Son (Jesus) makes you free, you shall be free indeed.” John 8:36

In this freedom is the abundant life, way deeper than “happy.”

Friends don’t let friends go to Hell

No tags for this post.

13 Responses to “Can someone be “happy” without Christ?”

1. Brenden says:

I have been a Christian my whole life, so I can’t say from personal experience that someone cannot be happy unless they have God. People can be happy doing whatever they do and living their life with people they love. But, God is in every single special moment nonbelievers have. Just because someone doesn’t believe in God, does not mean He is not there. Without God, there will always be that emptiness inside of us we are always trying to fill with worldly stuff. We need God in order to be TRULY happy, and live an abundant life.

2. Mike says:

I spent the first 35 years of my life not even giving a thought to God. I’v had many happy periods and my life was abundant, at leastfrom my perspective at the time. Needless to day, I had some bad days too. These last 12 years since coming to the Lord, however, I have also had an abundant life, porbably even more consistently abundant than when I did not know Him. On the other hand, my life has not become easier. My God never promised following Him would be easy, in fact He said just the opposite. Happy is a feeling that I really do not seek, but instead seek love, not the feeling though, the choice to love.

3. Christiaan says:

I have been a nonbeliever for about 20 years now. I live a full and very happy life. Nonbelievers actually look at Christian’s has having empty lives… b/c we believe you waste your life running around trying to please a mythical God.

• Alan says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Christiaan! I am stoked that you live a “full and happy life”. I really am and with that being said
      I ask that you read the article Friends Don’t let Friends go to Hell (there is a link at the bottom of the post) by Kirk Cameron and
      Ray Comfort that I think is a good read for you.
      Thanks again!

4. Oscar says:

I echo your thoughts Mike. Jesus was clear that in this world we would have trouble. Look at the apostles. Imprisoned, persecuted, stoned, beaten, beheaded. Hard to endure those things with a skip in your step. Still God promises peace, promises rest, promises Joy. How can that be? Well I know personally I find those things by knowing that I am saved. That God loved me so much, that He, the creator of all creation humbled himself to my lowly level, and took my humiliation, my beating, and the death I justly deserve, upon Himself. Wow, every time I think about His amazing grace, I am reminded of how temporary this world is, and it puts my problems in perspective. Yes I have joy, but it is not tied to this world, instead it is tied to life everlasting, which is life abundant!

5. Danny says:

There’s probably no god, so stop worrying and enjoy your life.
    .-= Danny´s last blog ..Bishop Spong on Christmas =-.